 Off-Topic / Geek / 3519
Re: Star Trek TNG DVDs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 03:16:33 GMT

In article <GptAEJ.HFn@lugnet.com>, John <johnneal@qwest.net> wrote:
Impressive.  And on 7 DVDs....efficient.

More so noting that from the picture, they're _single sided_ DVDs.

26 eps per season on 7 DVDs each is about four episodes per, which is about
three hours (figure about fifteen minutes off each hour for commercials.)
They got pretty good compression to actually cram that into two layers. Part
of that may be because TNG is shot in 4x3, so you have less data to deal
with.

Let's hope Warner Brothers is paying attention. The one thing I'd like to
see done like this even more than TNG is Babylon 5. They've released one
DVD with the two pilot movies on it (two-sided; "In The Beginning" was
shot in widescreen and is encoded in an anamorphic format, 525 lines of
16x9 takes more space than 525 lines of 4x3...). I'd love to see them
ship full boxed sets of the series.

-JDF