 Off-Topic / Geek / 3467
Re: Gallery Recent performance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 18:24:21 GMT

In lugnet.announce.brickshelf, Kevin Loch writes:
I finally rewrote the recent function in the gallery.  The page
now comes up at least 1000% faster.  It should be most noticable
on a fast (cable,dsl) connection.

If anyone is interested in what I did, FUT l.o-t.geek

What I'm really curious about is the technology behind Brickshelf.

We know that LUGNET is based on an NNTP core running on BSD with lots of
custom wrappers written by Todd in various scripting languages (mostly perl,
awk, and ksh I believe) to fit into the web interface.

How is Brickshelf implemented?  I heard once that it was written primarily
or entirely in C or C++.  Is it multi-threaded, or does it fork?  What OS
does it run on?  Does it use any intrepreted languages for scripting, or is
it pure object code?  Did you have to import any third-party libraries
(maybe for image handling for example) or is it all by Kevin Loch?  You
know, stuff like that.  :-,  I think it'd make a great little article linked
from the main page.

Cheers,
- jsproat