 Off-Topic / Geek / 345
Re: Perl rules!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 15:33:28 GMT

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999 22:46:46 GMT, Sproaticus <jsproat@io.com> wrote:

<roving desktops>
You haven't seen Novell's Zenworks, I take it.  It allows this for NT, 95,
98, yadda yadda yadda.

Well, I was trying to make a joke. Sorry, weong group, I know.

Especially since IE
tends to store its cache in user space, which then gets transported
right around campus over the network everry time someone logs on...
Combine that with the 10 Mb ethernet virtually all universities still
use as their network architecture (with woefully overloaded segments,
usually, even), and.. well, let's just say _I_ wouldn't want to field
the complaints line.

This is actually a network design issue, not a platform issue.

The problem isn't that the network can't handle the load, it's that it
shouldn't _have_ to. For god's sake, the whole point of a local cache
is to reduce network load.

Jasper