 Off-Topic / Geek / 3400
Re: To all my friends!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2001 20:25:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dave Schuler writes:
The way I show my gratitude when I receive informational help from people is
by shamelessly exploiting their knowledge again, so here goes:

If I know the lengths of two chords of a circle, both of which are smaller
than the diameter and which are parallel to each other at a known distance,
how do I compute the radius of the circle?
I've looked on various geometry sites on the web, but I can't find a
particular means to make this calculation.

I am just guessing, but don't 4 points uniquely (over) determine a circle,
because any 3 noncollinear points actually uniquely determine a circle? If
you can calculate the radius from any 3 non collinearpoints you can do it
from this info as you can determine 3 points of a normalised circle from
this info.

(Say the chord lengths are C1 and C2, and the distance D...)

Put C1 on the X axis and C2 above it

the circle defined by these chords has points at

(C1/2,0)
(-C1/2,0) from the first chord

and

(C2/2,D)
(-C2/2,D) from the second chord

Pick any three and if oyu have a radius from 3 points thingie you're there.

r = sqrt[(A^2/8D + D/2 - B^2/8D)^2 + B^2/4]

where:
A = chord 1 length
B = chord 2 length
D = perpindicular distance between A and B

or you could search on cyclic quadrilateral and solve for r using that mess,
simplifying for the quadrilateral = trapezoid.

-Rob.