 Off-Topic / Geek / 3303
Re: Needin some assistance!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 16:56:10 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dan Boger writes:
James Brown wrote:
You think that's stupid; one of our major (Major!) regional providers,
Telus, responded to the "Red Worm Threat" by arbitrarily (and without
warning or notification) refusing SMTP access to a large variety of domains.
This included Chris' Graysage domain, which runs our mailing list, so a
couple people got chopped off our mailing list until Telus removed it's head
from it's posterior.

SMTP?!?  gah, they just chose a port in random to turn off??  Reminds me of our provider during y2k - decided to "play it safe" and shut down the whole network... so they did that, but apparently were so incompetent that they _failed_ to shut it down... I was browsing cnn all night, while forced to stay at work...

(who works for a company that techinically got "hit", but like smart people,
atually *apply* security patches, and wasn't affected.)

heh, don't you mean that smart people don't run IIS?  *GD&R*

:)

Depends on your definition of smart.  We make a lot of money supporting
people who use IIS.... <GRIN>

James