 Off-Topic / Geek / 3301
Re: Needin’ some assistance!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 16:12:48 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Richard Noeckel writes:
This is exactly what I'm lookin’ for.         :)
Just wonderin’ is the link broken…            :(
http://www.suave.net/~dave/bw.cgi
Or is the entire site down as well?
http://www.suave.net/~dave/greenburg2.cgi

It's ugly. Unfortunately, due to the "Red Worm Threat", our friends at
MediaOne decided that they'd shut down port 80 (the http port) so that we
wouldn't be hit by the threat. Of course we run Apache under Linux, so we
never would be, but they still refuse to turn it back on.

You think that's stupid; one of our major (Major!) regional providers,
Telus, responded to the "Red Worm Threat" by arbitrarily (and without
warning or notification) refusing SMTP access to a large variety of domains.
This included Chris' Graysage domain, which runs our mailing list, so a
couple people got chopped off our mailing list until Telus removed it's head
from it's posterior.

The phrase that comes to mind is "Holy Misguided, Batman!"

James
(who works for a company that techinically got "hit", but like smart people,
atually *apply* security patches, and wasn't affected.)