 Off-Topic / Geek / 328
Re: Perl rules!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 22:29:56 GMT

On Sat, 17 Jul 1999 19:10:05 GMT, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley)
wrote:

I could have a user sit at any NT workstation on our network and login
to have access to a home directory located anywhere I want it, then
move to the other end of campus and do the same thing, bringing his
preferences, desktop, whatever along with him.

Can the Mac do that?  Nope.  Sad thing is, it could have, if Apple
hadn't dumped Copeland after lying to all it's acolytes about how it
was going to proceed with it.

From what I've heard, neither can NT, really. Especially since IE
tends to store its cache in user space, which then gets transported
right around campus over the network everry time someone logs on...
Combine that with the 10 Mb ethernet virtually all universities still
use as their network architecture (with woefully overloaded segments,
usually, even), and.. well, let's just say _I_ wouldn't want to field
the complaints line.

I dread the day I am forced to work in first-line support helldesk to
be able to move up the ladder..

Jasper