 Off-Topic / Debate / 1535
Re: Perl rules!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 19:10:05 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
Some believe that Microsoft and Intel have dual-handledly set back the
entire microcomputing industry approximately ten years.  Having worked with
Wintel products for nearly 20 years, I find this assertion difficult to
dispute.

Please.

Where would we be if we had nothing but Apple and Steve "I'm a
megalomaniac" Jobs to depend on?

I remember hearing YEARS ago how superior the Mac was to the PC
because at the time all it took to "network" a couple of Macs together
was a little cable and the OS itself.  Speaking as someone whose job
now consists of maintaining a huge network of servers and workstation
machines, PCs and Macs, it's kinda funny to think that the Mac is now
at about the same point that it was years ago.

I could have a user sit at any NT workstation on our network and login
to have access to a home directory located anywhere I want it, then
move to the other end of campus and do the same thing, bringing his
preferences, desktop, whatever along with him.

Can the Mac do that?  Nope.  Sad thing is, it could have, if Apple
hadn't dumped Copeland after lying to all it's acolytes about how it
was going to proceed with it.

We're working towards phasing Macs out of our environment for one
simple reason - they're not capable of doing much of anything the PC
sitting next to them can do.  So while they may have been lightyears
ahead of the PC, they've pretty much stayed where they were years ago.

Can a Mac be a cool personal machine, a machine for an individual who
basically just wants to surf the web or play games or do whatever?
Sure.  Is it up to the task of being a networked workstation in a
multi-user environment?  Nope.

So please, don't imply that MS and Intel are the only ones responsible
for hamstringing the computer industry.  Apple's done a pretty fine
job of shooting itself in the foot over the years.

Wonder what Apple would be like today if they'd bought Be when they
had the chance?  Oh, that's right, Jobs wouldn't do that because he
wanted to be the only ultra-charismatic guru in the company.

--
The pieces you want and nothing else - easy online bidding!
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)