 Off-Topic / Geek / 3272
Re: Brickshelf has moved
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 20:45:38 GMT

Yeah, I understand how caching works, I just didn't know that BrickShelf had
another URL.

;-)

~Mladen

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Mladen Pejic writes:
Let me get this straight, BrickShelf has two URLs. On is 206.131.246.36 and
the other is BrickShelf.com, right?

Yeah, kinda. What happens is pretty much this:

- Every computer (essentially) has an address, called an IP address.
- The nameservers for the internet associate a name with an IP. So when you
type in "www.lugnet.com", the internet nameservers tell you what IP address
that means.
- Some services decide that taking the time to look these up is too costly,
so they keep their own tables (called caching). That way, the 1st time the
page is called, they look it up, but when they're called again, they have
the address in memory and don't need to look it up. And they clean their
memory out periodically.

So what happened is that the computer that hosts brickshelf changed IP
addresses from 216.2.22.36 to 206.131.246.36. So any server that actually
*looks up* the address will get it right. But if any of them have it stored
as the OLD IP address, they'll connect to the wrong address and get nothing.
So if you're at one of these locations, typing in "www.brickshelf.com" will
go to the OLD address, and be wrong. But you can circumvent the caching by
going DIRECTLY to the machine and using its IP address instead of
"www.brickshelf.com".

However, if you try and directly access the OLD box (http://216.2.22.36/),
you won't get anything-- that is, of course, unless your BROWSER has cached
any data. If you actually reload/refresh the pages, you won't get good data
back.

DaveE