 Off-Topic / Geek / 318
Re: Perl rules!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 18:16:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Steve Bliss writes:
There are other issues here.  4bits per pixel uses lookup tables to pick
colors.  You can do tricks with XORing colors to move things around without
redrawing everything.  I'm sure this was taken advantage of.  Perhaps this
is why moving the pieces with the keys seems so responsive.

Maybe this is the case in LEdit -- I don't have knowledge of that source
code.  But in LDraw, the graphics I/O is pretty simple - there are calls to
library routines to set the resolution, clear the screen, and write
individual pixels.  And I know the library supported higher-color modes.

I don't have source to LEdit either, but I used to write CAD software for
a living around that time.  We used all sorts of colormap manipulating
tricks to speed up the rendering.  These tricks just don't work in fixed
color modes.  You have to use a completely different bag of tricks.
Supporting both may have brought the code size up above the limits of DOS.

A program like LDRAW doesn't require the same tricks as LEdit because it's
much less interactive.

Don