 Off-Topic / Geek / 3095
Re: E-mail authentication during posting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 13:49:31 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
"LUGNET Admin" <todd@lugnet.com> writes:

The simplest way around this is for the server to accept a message,
then send a quick confirmation e-mail to the poster listed in the
From: header.  This e-mail contains a special URL which will
authenticate or "release" the message into the pool of active
messages.  Click that URL, then click "Post It" and you're all set.

Could someone please tell me if they've programmed a script which does
this automatically?  Perl would be preferred.  Without an
automatication of this process, LUGNET is completely useless for me.
The script could be triggered by the incoming authentication request.

If you would have automated that process, that would make you vulenerable to
identity theft. If someone would forge your ID the message will be accepted
by a script that is not able to verify if you really wrote that message...

-Frank