 Off-Topic / Geek / 3016
3015  |  3017
Subject:
Why halftracks?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 10:34:16 GMT

This post is obviously inspired from some of the MOCs I've seen be
Shaun Sullivan.  He has made some very cool WWII halftrack models.

Ok, so a halftracked vehicle is usually a tracked one with ordinary
steering wheels.  What I don't understand is how this configuration is
useful.

I can see that the tracks make the vehicle more mobile in difficult
terrain, but why does it have ordinary steering wheels in addition?
Is the traction from the front steering wheels enough to steer the
whole vehicle?  I would hardly think it is, especially if the terrain
is rugged.  So the vehicle probably has the ability to steer be
altering the speed of the individual tracks in additon?  Or am I wrong
at this point?

Perhaps the front wheels make the vehicle more comfortable to drive on
a proper road, while the tracks permit it to go off road as well?

Fredrik