 Off-Topic / Geek / 294
Re: Perl rules!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 11:07:22 GMT

"Moz (Chris Moseley)" <moz1@ihug.com.au> writes:

What, Eighteen Megs And Constantly Swapping? Ever tried putting emacs
on anything smaller than a CD?

Well, I've been running Emacs on a P150 system with 643MB harddisk for
three years now.  That's smaller than a CD, right?

Or were you refering to transporting the Emacs sources on a CD?  I've
used a set of 1440KB disks to do that.  I needed eight of them, or so.

And as to the memory size of Emacs: Netscape used much more memory on
startup than Emacs already in 1996 or so.  The Emacs process I have been
using heavily for 21 days now takes up 28MB in the memory.  Try to use a
Windows system that heavily for 21 days without a reboot!

Apparently the latest Caldera is quite good for that - all-GUI install, no
reboots and autodetection of just about everything.

Reboots are a Windows phenomenon, as I see it.  Reboots are rarely
needed for Linux.  Only if you're to replace the kernel, say.

I don't really believe that Linux can be an OS for the masses.  Not yet,
anyway.

Fredrik