 Off-Topic / Geek / 290
Re: Perl rules!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 21:14:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Steve Bliss writes:
On Tue, 20 Jul 1999 18:27:57 GMT, "Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:

It just sucks that IBM chose the Intel 80x86 archtecture over, say, the
Motorola 68xxx architecture.  The 68xxx architecture was always 32-bit and
would have saved the PC industry years of segmentation grief.  And although
the 32-bit 80386 was released in 1985, it took nearly 10 years to stomp out
all of the old 8086 legacy garbage -- and it's not even totally gone today.

Yeah, whoever decided to do the segmented memory thing should have been
shot.  What a horrible idea.  At least, it was enough to scare me off of
learning 80x86 assembler.

Wait a minute.  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but the segmented
memory architecture allowed you to create absolutely *tiny* programs that
did wonderful things.  And you could fit tons of these programs on an
affordable *floppy* disk.

I have many fond memories from those days writing software in 80x86 assembler
using a dual floppy XT.  Today's bloatware just doesn't compare.  Uh, except
EMACS.  Oh yeah, and the graphics are also better today.

Yeah, but what does that have to do with LDraw not supporting modes with
more than 4-bit color?

Isn't 4 bit color the lowest common denominator between VGA and EGA?

In that regard, thank god for MS-Windows, since it helped do away with most
of the mess created by itself and Intel earlier.

Well, that's one good thing.

Are they all done rediscovering the big-iron concepts that they didn't have
to worry about in the early 80's?  Or is there more to come?

I'm still waiting for the *real* OS to come along.  *nix will never appeal
to the masses--the knowledge requirement is too high.  WebTV (and similar
things) won't cut it as a real computer.  Windows is too bloated and
legacy.

So what will it be?

Steve

I *hope* it's linux.  If you can hide the "knowledge requirement" behind
an interface suitable for the masses, and keep the power for the others,
then I think it has a chance.

By the way, is anybody actively building or porting any L-CAD utilities
to linux these days?  I've seen hints, but that's all.

Don Heyse  (Make the spam go away before emailing)