 Off-Topic / Geek / 2864
Re: Security?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 14:47:11 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote:

First of all, a lot of systems don't lock out accounts, just because
they are misconfigured, or their admin doesn't realise the danger.

  Sure, but what's the point of disabling my system after my own bogus
attempts?  To date, the only one who's been kept out of my system for that
reason is me!  I mean, why set "3" as the magic number, if external,
high-voulme attacks are the big danger?

because disabling the login (at least for a while) does help defend
against brute force attacks.  and the number 3 isn't magical in any way
- I think a lot of systems have it set for 5, and from what I know, it's
always configurable.  the admin can set it for 20 or something, without
a major loss to security, imo.

Also, remember that most password hacking will occure offline - the
intruder will somehow (and there are many possible ways), get a copy of
the system passwords, in encrypted form, then download it to his own box
and hammer at the file without alerting anyone...

  True.  How, though, does he circumvent the "three strikes" problem?  I'd
love to know his secret, if only so that I can get into my own system on my
fourth try!

if I have a copy of your password file, I can put it on my system and
run an external program - the file itself doesn't lock up, it's the
system that does that.  If I put your file on my system, nothing will
lock it out after 3 tries :)

does this explain anything?

:)

Dan