 Off-Topic / Geek / 2665
2664  |  2666
Subject:
I.Q. and recommended set ages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 19:30:58 GMT

I was looking at the Mindstorms sets and noticed the RIS was recommended for
ages 12+.  I got to thinking that as far as I can remember, I think I could
have handled this set at a much younger age (I am now 25).  Then I
remembered that I.Q. (intelligence quotient) is your intellectual age
divided by your actual age times 100. (A person of average intelligence has
an I.Q. of 100.)  This tells me that if you are a kid and you know your
I.Q., or if you are a parent and you know your kid's I.Q., then you could
take the recommended age on the set, divide it by your I.Q., then multiply
by 100, and you will then have the recommended age relative to you or your
kid.  This would suggest that a smart kid with an I.Q. of 150 could handle
the RIS at age 8, even though it is recommended for 12+.  I am sure that
this is not a perfect indicator, but neither are set ages or I.Q. tests for
that matter, however, I bet it is a pretty good rough guess none the less.
Just a random thought.
David