 Off-Topic / Geek / 2651
Re: Interesting audio puzzle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 18:18:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Frank Filz wrote:

Over the weekend I experienced a puzzing thing with my home stereo
system.

My stereo system includes a powered subwoofer, which started humming
when I stepped or stood in various places in my apartment. The stereo
was on, but the CD playing was paused at the time. At first I thought
the noise was a neighbor, but I quickly realized that it was
synchronized with my steps, and then experimentation showed several
locations where I could step or stand to cause the effect. Some
locations only aroused a short tone in conjunction with placing my foot
down in a spot, but many locations resulted in the tone continuing while
I stood on a spot.

Any thoughts? Any ideas for experiments to try to understand it better
(unfortunately I don't have an osciliscope to monitor the subwoofer).

Umm, did you verify this with two people in the room?  One moving about,
one sitting still.  It could be that the noise wasn't changing, but as you
moved about the room, you were moving in and out of zones where the noise
was audible.

Sounds a bit farfetched, but so do the other explanations.

Steve