 Off-Topic / Geek / 2650
Re: Interesting audio puzzle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 16:13:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Frank Filz writes:
Over the weekend I experienced a puzzing thing with my home stereo
system.

<snip>

Any thoughts? Any ideas for experiments to try to understand it better
(unfortunately I don't have an osciliscope to monitor the subwoofer).

A couple things that may or may not help, but might be fun...

Place a heavy object in one of the places that appears to generate a
constant tone, and stand in another such place.  How does that affect the tone?

"Jump" in place without actually jumping (get most of your weight off the
floor without breaking contact) in one of the places where the tone is not
constant.  Is it weight or contact that triggers the tone?

Unplug the woofer from the wall and see if the condition occurs.  Plug it
back into the wall, but unplug it from your stereo.

Stand in one of the places that generates a constant tone, and play some
music.  Stop the music, and see if the tone remains.

James