 Off-Topic / Geek / 2641
    Re: 8-bit floating-point number representations? —Frank Filz
   (...) After thinking about this, I realized most compact binary floating point forms don't allow denormalized numbers. The reason is that if one assures that all numbers are normalized, the bit to the left of the decimal point is always a 1, and (...) (23 years ago, 4-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

        Re: 8-bit floating-point number representations? —Todd Lehman
   (...) Wow, Frank, I didn't know you geeked like that! All right! (...) It past my bedtime, so I'll have to think more about it another time, but you've definitely given me hope that it could be done pretty efficiently. As a bonus in this case, the (...) (23 years ago, 4-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

        Re: 8-bit floating-point number representations? —Frank Filz
   (...) I've been a pretty serious geek, especially with low level stuff like this. My first real job involved developing a Fortran style formatted I/O for the Apple II which involved digging into the the internal guts of Applesoft BASIC so that we (...) (23 years ago, 4-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

        Re: 8-bit floating-point number representations? —Frank Filz
   (...) I was thinking about this some more, and am really wondering what you will be doing with the numbers. If the only computations you need to do with them are comparisons, then once converted they will be extremely cheap to work with (the reason (...) (23 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

        Re: 8-bit floating-point number representations? —Todd Lehman
   (...) Well, basically, whatever is fast and flexible -- whatever that turns out to be. It might even turn out that a fixed-point representation is flexible enough and maybe even faster since it would involve only a single floating- point multiply by (...) (23 years ago, 7-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

        Re: 8-bit floating-point number representations? —Frank Filz
   (...) <snip> (...) Aah, with your external tables, 0 to 15 would work well. You don't even need to scale it really since the output of your algorithm is just the relative ranking of articles. It would be easy to generate a 0-15 rating for the (...) (23 years ago, 7-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)