 Off-Topic / Geek / 2648
Re: 8-bit floating-point number representations?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 20:13:16 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
External tables could be any of:

a) All 1's -- i.e., no effect (in implementation, this would probably simply
   bypass the actual multiply) -- table lookup disabled.
b) Current article scores based on member feedback.
c) Predicted article scores based on collaborative filtering.
d) How close an article is to the top of its thread (might be 1.0's and 0.5's
   or any values 0.0 to 1.0).
e) Some user-defined, user-specific function based on who posted an article,
   potentially useful for killfile-style filtering.
etc. • <snip>
Heck, if the integer range were restricted to [0,15], it could even be a
4-bit fixed-point number that gets looked up in an itty-bitty 64-byte table
of 16 32-bit floating-point numbers or a 128-byte table of 16 64-bit
floating-point numbers.  As a bonus, that would also chop the size of the
large memory-mapped file in half without sacrificing too much (I would hope)
precision.

My gut instincts tell me that a 16-level significance factor would be plenty
for these purposes inside of a search.

Aah, with your external tables, 0 to 15 would work well. You don't even
need to scale it really since the output of your algorithm is just the
relative ranking of articles. It would be easy to generate a 0-15 rating
for the article ratings. For the "closeness to top of thread" you could
chose 15 for thread tops, and either decrement 1 for each post away from
the top, or go faster, or put it on some kind of curve. I don't have
Pentium II timings, but on a 486, loading a float into a co-processor
register is much faster than loading an integer, and it may be
advantageous to just directly multiply, which says that a 16 element
lookup table should be quite effective for either 4 bit or 16 bit
quantities, but overall, you should just try out bit twiddling and
lookups.

Frank