 Off-Topic / Geek / 2549
Re: Tractor beam?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 17:50:55 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Dave Schuler writes:
Does anyone know who coined this term and when it might first have crept
into the scifi lexicon?

To answer your question, I want to go with E.E. "Doc" Smith and the Lensman
series but I might be wrong. The concept of a force beam that can push or
pull things, no matter how named, considerably predates Star Trek.

BTW: It's SF or Science Fiction... scifi is the term used by mundanes. :-)
You're not one of *those*, are you?

++Lar