 Off-Topic / Geek / 2402
Re: Figure This One Out... Kinda Neat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 17:48:46 GMT

Thomas R. Sibley <tom@zulutango.com> wrote:
Yes, it is untrue.  There should be two spaces after the period, not
one.  Of course you could argue that the spaces are not part of the
sentence.  :)

Not generally true in common internet style.

Furthermore, *defintely* not true when using proportionally-spaced fonts.
With e-mail and news, everybody should be using a monospaced font, so using
two spaces is acceptable [1], but if you're writing a paper or memo or
letter and using Times or some other normal font, just space once. [2]

[1] Although, as I said, not common style -- just as most people use blocks
for paragraphs instead of indenting, and many people use logical quoting
instead of always putting punctuation inside quote marks even when it makes
no sense.

[2] This is probably why people don't space twice on the net -- it's hard to
shift from one style to the other, and proportionally-spaced fonts with
extra spaces look way worse than leaving them out here.

--
Matthew Miller                     --->                 mattdm@mattdm.org
Quotes 'R' Us                    --->              http://quotes-r-us.org/