 Off-Topic / Geek / 231
Re: Perl rules!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 19:17:55 GMT

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 18:01:45 GMT, mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller) wrote:

Steve Bliss <blisses@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
It also means there are 50 thousand rules to learn, and 50 million
exceptions to those rules.

Luckily human beings are very good at that. In fact, the rules seem to be
mostly descriptive -- we naturally say things a certain way, and then
retroactively we look and say, "ok, that's the right way to say it because
of such-and-such-rule". Human minds are good at language -- the behavior
operates at a subconscious level and we don't have to think about the rules
to form a sentence. We just do it, and then if we want figure out the rules
as an academic exercise.

It's a good thing human minds are good at language -- can you imagine if
parents actually had to teach their children to speak?  That would be
painful.  Believe me, I know -- I tried for 4 years.  *Then* my kid decided
he was ready to talk.

But some people are better doing weird rules than others.  My son (same
one) is very bright, but he's a horrible[1] speller.  He didn't respond
well to phonics training, either.  He just can't deal with all the stupid
exceptions and minor variations.

My other son is a very good speller.  Why does this difference exist
between two very similar kids?  I don't know; go ask your geneticist.

Steve

[1] OK, not horrible.  Just not as good as I'd like.  Or as good as he'd
like--he never pretests out of his weekly spelling assignments.