 Off-Topic / Debate / 1466
Re: Perl rules!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 18:01:45 GMT

Steve Bliss <blisses@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
It also means there are 50 thousand rules to learn, and 50 million
exceptions to those rules.

Luckily human beings are very good at that. In fact, the rules seem to be
mostly descriptive -- we naturally say things a certain way, and then
retroactively we look and say, "ok, that's the right way to say it because
of such-and-such-rule". Human minds are good at language -- the behavior
operates at a subconscious level and we don't have to think about the rules
to form a sentence. We just do it, and then if we want figure out the rules
as an academic exercise.

At least we don't have to cojugate (sp?) anything...

Actually, we do. (I am, you are, he is, we are, y'all are, they are)
But we don't have much by way of declensions.