 Off-Topic / Geek / 2230
Re: GIF licensing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish
Date:
Sat, 28 Oct 2000 15:30:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Tobias Möller writes:
I've heard about the GIF licensing fees and all that, but I've never
been told the answers to my questions, so I hope you can help me.

Actually, there's only one question:

Am I breaking the law when I make GIF images?

--Tobias

Unisys holds a patent on the LZW compression algorythm.
Common GIF implementations use this.  There are implementations
(like libungif) that use no compression and can be used freely.

If you use software that creates a GIF, and uses LZW compression,
and you are in a country where Unisys has an enforcable patent for
LZW, *and* the software you use does not have a licence for LZW,
you could be held liable for patent infringment.  That's not
a criminal offence, but a civil one and Unisys would have to
persue your case in civil court in a competent jurisdiction.

Most commercial image processing software companies have licensed
LZW for their products, so you have nothing to worry about if the
GIF's you create are made with say Photoshop or another commercial
product that has a LZW license.

KL