 Off-Topic / Geek / 2069
Re: CSV delimiters
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 06:37:59 GMT

In lugnet.admin.database, Todd Lehman writes:
I hate it too.  IIRC, Excel uses "" instead of \" for an escaped " -- but I
could be wrong.  I just remember hating it once when I looked at it.  :)
One nice thing, though, is that Excel can import tab-delimited text, so that's
it's saving grace.

Eeek -- shame on me -- did I just say "it's" when I meant "its"?

Anyway, I forgot to say:  The idea of escaping quotes is *bizarre* in the
first place.  IMHO, there shouldn't *be* any closing double-quote character
on a field once it has already been declared a string field by an opening
double-quote.  The only escaping that should happen is on commas, IMHO.  But
"that's not how it's done."  :)

--Todd