 Off-Topic / Geek / 2068
Re: CSV delimiters
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.publish
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 06:34:50 GMT

In lugnet.admin.database, Bram Lambrecht writes:
Todd Lehman writes:
Is there any "official" or "reasonably standardized format" for
CSV (_C_omma _S_eparated _V_alue) data?

Sorry, I can't help.  And I hate the way Excel outputs in plain text.

I hate it too.  IIRC, Excel uses "" instead of \" for an escaped " -- but I
could be wrong.  I just remember hating it once when I looked at it.  :)
One nice thing, though, is that Excel can import tab-delimited text, so that's
it's saving grace.

But since it's 2:30 in the morning, I'll make useless comments.
Sounds like you're working on the question I asked...augh, and I just
entered all the sets manually.  Oh well, I was bored anyway. :P

Actually, I'm just gathering background info.  If I start doing exporting and
importing of CSV or tabsep files, I'll want to do it in a general way that
can handle a variety of types of DB tables, with some sort of common output
library function and some sort of common input dialog-box page.

--Todd