 Off-Topic / Geek / 2048
Re: Two people seeing two different web sites
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 11:55:40 GMT

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 11:42:26AM +0000, Jude Beaudin wrote:
How can two systems, each with a cleared cache, see two different versions of
the same web site?

Yes, I am talking about the infamous www.lego.com

i.e. I have seen references to links in the Lego web site that people have made
but I get an under construction page.

I realize that eventually I will see the new site, but I would like to know how
this type of thing happens. Is it due to multiple servers that provide the same
domain? And different machines log onto a different server? (an uneducated
guess)

Come on you web junkies, including Todd :-), give me your best opinions!

well, it could be caused by a number of reasons:

  The web server might actually be serving different versions of the page
to different people - according to browser type, how you got there, what
ip you have, what cookies you have... etc.

  If there are multiple servers serving the same page, they could get out
of sync, and serve old versions sometimes...

  There might be proxies someplace between you and lego.com that decided
to cache your request, and so didn't even check the real site for an updated
page.

  Another option is that you checked the site just as they put the construction
banner up, for some reason...

That's all I can think of off-hand...

:)

Dan