 Off-Topic / Geek / 1915
  "EarthLink.Net" = spam ?...

Over the past several months, I have noticed that an increasing percentage of the spam I receive is from addresses in the "earthlink.net" domain. Has anyone else noticed this? When I forward said messages to EarthLink's postmaster, they invariably (...) (24 years ago, 8-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: "EarthLink.Net" = spam ?...

(...) Earthlink is a very popular isp -- second after AOL. (Or perhaps third after Juno; depends how you count.) So it's very likely that people pick Earthlink as a target for forged addresses. It's also common to see things purporting to come from (...) (24 years ago, 8-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: "EarthLink.Net" = spam ?...

You're right in that the "real" sender's identity (or at least, sending location) can be traced via the headers, etc., and I know how to change my options to see all the headers/trailers/etc. I can see now how they could fake a return address and (...) (24 years ago, 8-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: "EarthLink.Net" = spam ?...

(...) It's an old protocol, designed before people even thought about problems like this. (...) finger, probably, or the equivalent. One problem with this is that having sites give out information about the existence or nonexistence of given (...) (24 years ago, 8-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: "EarthLink.Net" = spam ?...

(...) Also, you might take a look at spamcop - (from memory, www.spamcop.net?). it'll analyze the headers for you, and even send mail to the right addresses to complain... I've found it quite effective. :) Dan (24 years ago, 8-Aug-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)