 Off-Topic / Geek / 1860
Re: PC ('98) to PC (NT4) File Transfer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 13:45:18 GMT

Scott A wrote:

PC ('98) to PC (NT4) File Transfer

Can anyone recommend a decent PC to PC shareware / freeware  file transfer
utility? My copy of Laplink only works with Win98/95 and one of the PC's is
NT4.0? I prefer to transfer via parallel connection, but both PC's also have
either-net cards.

Thanks for any help

Scott A

If your ethernet cards have UTP type sockets, you should consider buying
a cheap 8 port hub (I have a genius brand one purchased for 30 USD and
I'm pretty happy about it) and two patch cables of appropriate length
which are not worth talking about their costs. If your ethernet cards
are old enough and both having BNC sockets, then you are on the cheaper
side, since they only require two T connectors, two 50 ohm terminators
and an appropriate length of 50 ohm coaxial cable with BNC female
connectors at both ends. If your cards have combo type, I mean have both
type connectors on it, I strongly recommend the first option if you want
no headache. After this You can simply connect all your machines via
built-in networking capabilities of win 98/95/NT. If you need further
help about the subject, I'll be happy to help.

By the way, win98 and 95 has built-in paralell/serial cable networking
capability (so there is no need for a win 98/95 Laplink) but I don't
know whether they can also connect with an NT machine or not.

Selçuk