 Off-Topic / Geek / 1781
Re: VT100 over the web
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 18:15:04 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Matthew Miller writes:
Sproaticus <jsproat@io.com> wrote:
http://www.mindbright.se/mindterm/
Unfortunately, not legal to use in the US until the RSA patent expires.
This may turn out to be a non issue for this client.

Hmmm.  I wonder (strictly for the sake of wondering) is it illegal to use the
entire Mindterm package in the U.S., or just the bits that use the RSA
algorithm?  i.e., if a USian uses just the VT320 stuff and not the ssh stuff,
is it legal?  What if the RSA code were removed?  Hmmm.

I need to follow up on
Sproat's pointers to other Java solutions but the Mindterm suggestion (which
both Matt and Sproat made, independently, I believe) is an excellent one and I
appreciate the pointer.

I very much like Mindterm, and whole-heartedly recommend it.  However, if you
don't need ssh and would like a runner-up to evaluate against Mindterm, Java
Telnet Application/Applet ( http://www.mud.de/se/jta/ ) is seriously good as
well, even with such a bulky name.  :-,

Another solution if you didn't want to have a Java applet on the client (with
the security and download time considerations you get with that) would be to
have an "interposer" which accepted and spoke VT100 but which rendered html
forms to the user (and processed the resulting responses by emitting VT100
keystrokes).

You mean something like a dedicated telnet / HTTP gateway?  I still think lag
would be be a huge obstacle.  How thin do you need your thin client to be?  If
you're looking for something you can WAP, then a Java applet is probably not a
good solution.  But most desktop browsers can run applets now with almost-zero
setup, and the applets themselves are smaller than many image files.

Cheers,
- jsproat