 Off-Topic / Geek / 1754
1753  |  1755
Subject:
VT100 over the web
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:04:05 GMT

Is it even possible? My researches so far have not turned up a product, and in
thinking about the problem, the VT100 protocol stream is richer than HTML, in
some ways of looking at it.

We are trying to determine the feasibility of replacing client side installed
VT100 emulation software with a server side component that renders an emulated
VT100 terminal (or its contents anyway) via a browser.

I suspect that doing so with static or generated HTML is not practical but
haven't disproven it yet.

I suspect that doing so with a java applet (that perhaps just supports the
Vt100 protocol stream, or perhaps interacts with a serverside component that
does the protocol conversion) might be possible, but as to how practical?? gut
says not all that practical. Certainly I haven't turned up any products yet.

Thanks
++Lar in Zürich (on a keyboard that has ü as a key!!!)