 Off-Topic / Geek / 1585
Re: LugnetReader
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 14:37:18 GMT

Jeremy H. Sproat wrote:
Dan Boger wrote:
Susan Hoover wrote:
Is there a LUGNET discussion of LugnetReader somewhere?

Oooh, good question.  We really need some place to discuss it, esp. (right
now) the spooler -> client API.

guess we have that now - FUT to lugnet.admin.nntp :)
(heh, and first test to see if the fut works correctly :)

There's no public release yet, though I just now (2 minutes ago) finished
setting it up so it can poll the avid.cgi directly, and not through the
spooler I wrote.

How releasable is your spooler?  Good enough to let me work with it for my
client?

well, the spooler right now just sits there all the time, getting messages once a
minute, and stores them on disk in a spool directory - each message would be stored
and linked by at least three indexes - by xref, by avid number, and by groups...
The the spooler writes a log file of each incoming message, and the client reads it
from the spool dir.  Not great, but workable.  I plan to write a telnet based
interface with it, so remote clients can read the spool as well.  Now I'm just trying
to figure out if it's worth the bother, or just use the avid.cgi directly...

And to see if it can work on windows :)

I'll beta-test that for ya, Dan.  :-,  I'm fairly familiar with Perl, in both
Unix and Win32 environments.

Thanks!  That'd be great...  Do you happen to know if there's a TK module for win?
The first release should be sometime this week (I hope), I just need to put some
finishing touches on it (and make it configurable - right now you'd have to change
your name in the code... :)

....Did you post that message with it?  It didn't seem to wrap the text.

right, I did post with it, and I didn't wrap lines.  I'm thinking of adding and
optional line wrapping feature, but in general I hate programs that force you to
break lines.  So until I put it as an option, it's not going to be there :)

:)

Dan