 Off-Topic / Geek / 1582
Re: LugnetReader
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 20:48:57 GMT

Susan Hoover wrote:
Yep, thanks!  BTW, it was noticeable from some NNTP-readers, too.  I
don't read through the web interface either.

nod, of course.  Once again, sorry - A typo in the wrong place might not crash the program, just make it not work as you want it. :/

Is there a LUGNET discussion of LugnetReader somewhere?  Will it be
just for reading Lugnet (with Lugnet-specific hooks thrown in) or do
you intend it to be an all-purpose newsreader?

There's no public release yet, though I just now (2 minutes ago) finished setting it up so it can poll the avid.cgi directly, and not through the spooler I wrote.  So version 1.0 will probably be released sometime this week.

I have no plans of making it anything more than a tool for reading lugnet.  Since the current implementation relys on Todd's avid.cgi, a new module will have to be written to read NNTP servers.  However, I did write the program so that changing the backend (from spooler, to avid, to NNTP or mail) is fairly simple...

Currently it only does streaming news.  It allows you to post (as you could see) but no article ratings yet.  Features I plan to add (in no particular order):

* Article rating
* Group filters
* Per-groups actions (play sound, popup msg, etc)
* Bookmarking
* Lugnet address book

And to see if it can work on windows :)

Dan