 Off-Topic / Geek / 148
Re: Getting a job - advice from the experts (was: Re: What happened?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 13:34:02 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote:

Christopher L. Weeks <c576653@cclabs.missouri.edu> wrote:
I have a hard time answering that.  I work on the management team
operating a 150 employee (mostly face to face) help desk and system of
student computing facilities.  I'm an advanced user with a whole slew of

You have 150 employees working helpdesk?  My God, how many students do
you have?

We have roughly 30K students and 10K faculty and staff since we're the
home of the state university system.  We run the public computing sites
800+ workstations in 15 locations.  Mostly we help with the equipment in
the room, but we also do phone support when someone calls.  We have six
fulltimers running the show (one for networking, one for PC-NT maint,
one for Mac maint, one for training our 150 consultants, I do all the
personnel, and we have a manager).

I also manage a couple part-time programmers who are sort of between the
two tiers that we have traditionally had.

What kind of services do you provide to your students via the
helpdesk?

As much as we can.

We also have a smaller more traditional phone center helpdesk ("the
operations center") that seems to not be very well geared to helping
students, but does well for faculty who are treated like royalty.  (A
personal gripe I've had for years.)

Might be scary to admit, but at a school of more than 25k students, we
have 5 full-time people and about as many students in the office I
"manage" handling dial-up and lan networking for students and dial-up
networking for staff/faculty (about 3,000 students in the dorms and
about 6,000 dial-up accounts).

Do you provide that free to everyone who wants it?  I'm surprised your
numbers are so low.  I think we must have a higher ratio of students
with PCs or you have a better system of competitors.  You're in a big
city right?  I don't actually know what our dial-up numbers are, but I
am under the impression that it's higher.

We also provide a smattering of other general helpdesk-type support
(limited application support, etc, no real computer hardware support).

We do both in fair depth, but charge (to little) for hardware repair.

Another computing dept in our division mans a helpdesk that mainly
does support for the campus unix system itself with 1.5 full-time
employees and a few student workers.

Now if you wanted to talk about the other people in our depts I'm sure
you could find 150... well, maybe you could, but that would include
everything from the people who run the cables and install switches to
those who manage our pipes to the net itself, and everyone in between.

Including all those folks and our student staff, I think we're over 400.
(I wonder if we do more, or just do it less efficiently than y'all.)

MS Project I don't know the jargon) as a matter of course, and I am
especially good at interfacing the three groups of people that I work
with: techie geeks in the back room, non-technical clients asking
questions, and management doing whatever.  I can do delivery and
creation of technical training, but I haven't been a full-time trainer
in a few years.

Wow, that's basically what I do, with a good deal of hands-on server
maintenance thrown in for good measure and overtime.

I had the impression that we had some duty overlap.

If you happen to want to move to Missouri and be underpaid there,
they'll be hiring to replace me later this Summer. ;-)

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks
central Missouri, USA