 Off-Topic / Geek / 140
Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 22:37:40 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Why salaries and comp are closely guarded may be an interesting .debate
topic.

I'm in the process of finding a new employer now, and I'm using
recruiters (headhunters) for the first time.  What am I supposed to
answer when they ask what I make?  I'd rather not tell them, but I also
don't want them to fail to pass on my resumes as a result of my being
difficult.  The truth is, that I make about half of what I'd like to be
making at the next place, but if I admit how little I'm making I'm
afraid I will be taken less seriously.

Any advice anyone?

Don't answer specifically until and unless you are about to get a job offer
from a specific firm. Do your research about what you are worth, then answer
the "what do you make" question from a headhunter with "well below market,
which is 90K for a programmer with my skills" or whatever. Make sure 90K is
about the right answer... don't claim market is a lot above what it really is.

However, a 100% jump is a very hard jump to achieve, even in a jobseekers
market like now. You better have a really really good story as to why you are
so underpaid.

Oh, and while I'm at it, anyone hiring in New Jersey?

Yes. People are hiring everywhere. What is more accurate is to ask if anyone is
hiring your skills, which without more info is hard to answer.