 Off-Topic / Geek / 135
Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 03:53:03 GMT

I'm in the process of finding a new employer now, and I'm using
recruiters (headhunters) for the first time.  What am I supposed to
answer when they ask what I make?  I'd rather not tell them, but I also
don't want them to fail to pass on my resumes as a result of my being
difficult.

Tell them what you're worth (and why) and what range you're willing to
accept, but not what you currently make.  What you currently make is
largely irrelevant anyway during the headhunting phase, especially if
you are moving from MS to NJ, where the cost-of-living index is greater
and salaries are generally higher as a result.  Headhunters usually get
a cut of your new salary anyway, not of your old salary.  So if your new
number is 2x your old number, that'll be the number they focus on and get
excited about.

--Todd