 Off-Topic / Geek / 1216
Re: Palm Pilots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 14:48:03 GMT

with a IIIe?  What are the advantages of the IIIX?

I believe that I've read that the e doesn't have the same sync capabilities as
the x does, but I don't know the details offhand.  Hmm, now that I think of
it, I'm not sure where I heard that - may be a bad rumour.

ah, there it is.  According to http://www.palm.com/products/family.html, the x
includes PocketMirror (which is what's used to sync with Outlook) but the e
doesn't.  It works pretty well, btw, for those of us who's companies use the
dreaded MS Excahnge server to keep calendars/contacts/email :-)

http://www.palmgear.com/faq/ has a "what are the differences" page,
including...

"The Palm IIIx. The "Power User" model, the Palm IIIx is identical externally
to the Palm III except that it replaces the screen with a higher contrast LCD.
Internally, the IIIx moves the OS to the motherboard, leaving the slot open.
This slot is also NOT the same as the previous models, so cards that
fit/worked in those units will not work in the IIIx. Make sure if you buy a
card to go in your Palm IIIx that it says its made specifically for the IIIx.
In addition to moving the card contents to the motherboard, the IIIx has 4MB
of memory and runs the Dragonball EZ processor (which seems faster, and uses
DRAM instead of SDRAM which is apparently more expensive). The IIIx runs OS
3.1, which is basically just an update to support the EZ processor. The
silkscreen area of the IIIx doesn't have any text on it, and the icons have
changed slightly (this so that Palm doesn't have to make localized versions of
the silkscreen anymore).

"The Palm IIIe/Palm IIIe SE. The "Low End" model, the IIIe is identical to the
IIIx except for the following: No expansion slot internal means its not
expandable, it comes with 2MB vs 4MB in the IIIx of memory, the ROM is not in
FLASH meaning no updates other than software (like the currently done
patches), and it comes with a plastic stylus vs the metal one in the III/IIIx.
The Palm IIIe SE is a special edition targetted initially at college students
and now available to everyone via Palm's site. Internally it is identical to
the IIIe, but its shell is clear/translucent plastic. Also, the buttons and
hotsync cradle are black vs gray. "