 Off-Topic / Geek / 1170
    Databases and the Internet Question or Two —Richard Dee
   Hello! Curiosity: What kinds of database systems are used (i.e. Essbase, Sybase, dBase, Access, Approach, AS400, whatever..), are typically used by companies, or recommended by consultants, when the source of the data would be supplied by internet (...) (25 years ago, 14-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

        Re: Databases and the Internet Question or Two —Kevin Loch
   (...) I'm using MySQL. It has it's limitations (I bet Larry will expand on that) but it's open-source and free (in most cases). For a comercial project I would use Oracle (which is about as far from free as you can get with databases). KL (25 years ago, 14-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

        Re: Databases and the Internet Question or Two —Larry Pieniazek
   If you're talking large scale commercial you need a RDBMS, nothing else will scale big enough (well, maybe IMS but that's pretty trailing edge at this point, you need a CICS/MVS box to drive it) And from among the RDBMS's your choices are basically (...) (25 years ago, 15-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

        Re: Databases and the Internet Question or Two —Steven Vore
   (...) Agreed. As [oh, geez, I can'r remember his name now - MS database project manager guy at a conference I attended] said, "sure, there's a time to move up from Access. That time is when the second user will need to connect." -- -Steven "Nothin' (...) (25 years ago, 15-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

        Re: Databases and the Internet Question or Two —Steven Vore
   (...) Bill Vaughn. And now I'm not sure he was a project manager. *sigh* the brain's rotting away here... -- -Steven "Nothin' But Net!" (URL) (25 years ago, 16-Feb-00, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)