 Off-Topic / Geek / 1024
1023  |  1025
Subject:
Reading/posting to LUGNET - an easier way for me?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 19:29:45 GMT

I'm looking for some advice.  I'd like to improve/streamline
my way of reading and posting to LUGNET, but I'm not sure how.

There are three computers I use, at various times, pretty
much equally: a Sun Solaris box at work, and two Macs at
home (for the record, a PowerCenter Pro 180 and an iMac
DV SE).

As of now, I telnet to my ISP and use slrn to read LUGNET.
This lets me read only new stuff from wherever I happen to
be, since the articles-read list is centralized.

AFAIK, the web interface doesn't support USENET-like article
management; also, using any dedicated news reader on any of
the machines machine would lead to each machine's articles-
read lists to get out of sync.

To post, I use a web browser, since you doesn't need past
article history to post (well, except for follow-ups).  I
don't like the web-browser text-box editing "environment",
however.

Ideally, I'd like to post from my ISP telnet session, too,
since there I can tell slrn to use emacs.  However, I can't
seem to get the headers correct for LUGNET posts.

Any helpful suggestions on how I can manage this better
(or at least on how to get slrn to post correctly, which
I'm sure has been discussed before)?

Thanks,
-Tim