 Off-Topic / Fun / 9584
Re: Little late in celebrating Canada Day, but oh well
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 22:53:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, James Stacey writes:
"Allan Bedford" <ExpertBuilder-DELETE-TO-REPLY@apotome.com> wrote in message
As in, the game of 'baseball'?  Or the game of 'cricket'?  Or perhaps
'rounders'?

good question :)

I dont have access to dates, but its true most of the UK plays rounders, and
certainly baseball is derived from rounders.
A quick search of the net didn't come up with anything conclusive but
http://www.hickoksports.com/history/rounders.shtml says  that a book (Little
Pretty Pocket-Book) mentions baseball in 1744.

I'm going to call upon semantics to save my weak argument.  :)

1)  I think it really comes down to how you define 'baseball'.  Is it any
game where a ball is hit with a stick or bat?  Is it any ball game where
players run from one station (base) to another?  Hard to say.  My suggestion
would be that based on your link above, Rounders doesn't really stack up to
being called 'baseball' as many modern fans might define it.  The playing
surface has a different shape.  The distance from the pitcher to the batter
is different.  There is no foul territory.  And so on.  Are they the same
game?  Was one a derivative of the other?  There's no doubt that baseball
may owe some of its origin to Rounders, but does that mean that Rounders
*is* baseball?

2)  I believe the game played in Beachville marks the first time a proper
baseball game (with close to modern specs and rules) was played and
officially recorded.  Again, this is just semantics, but I think it's what
is used to present the argumen; mostly to offset the Doubleday myth.

So there you go.  Flawed logic perhaps, but then this isn't the only case of
who did what first.  There is still great debate in Canada over where the
first official hockey game took place.  :)

All the best,
Allan B.