 Off-Topic / Fun / 9582
Re: Little late in celebrating Canada Day, but oh well
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 11:30:01 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, James Stacey writes:
Sorry to call you up on this one
4. Baseball originated in the UK. Cardiff in Wales (where I live - Hooray)
and Liverpool in England.
(unless I've been lied to all these years)

As in, the game of 'baseball'?  Or the game of 'cricket'?  Or perhaps
'rounders'?

For many years the story went that Abner Doubleday invented baseball in
Cooperstown, NY U.S.A. back in 1839.

However the more recent prevailing belief is that a proper game was played
in Beachville, ON Canada a full year earlier.

http://www.uselessknowledge.com/canada/baseball.shtml

In fact, the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame is located not far away in St.
Mary's ON.

http://townofstmarys.com/attractions/bhof_03.asp

http://baseballhalloffame.ca/cbhof/index.cfm?sitename=about&aboutsub=history

Apart from that, yeah Canada is
cool

Of course.  Just don't tell anyone.  We're trying to keep it a secret.  ;)

All the best,
Allan B.