 Off-Topic / Fun / 9429
Re: Launch of HMAS Ballarat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 27 May 2002 10:58:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Ross Crawford writes:
Well, yesterday I went to the launch of HMAS Ballarat, the 8th ANZAC frigate
launched at the Tenix shipyards. This leaves just 2 more to be launched from
the contract for 10, worth around AU$6 billion.

Here's some of the pictures I took

  Neat!  Thanks for sharing these.  Now THAT is a flared bow, yessirree.

Yep, It looks really strange from underneath!

   Sort of like a giant duck bill!  Wait until they start building
   "stealth" destroyers (the DD21 program here in the USA)--those have
   some really, really, really funky lines.

Of course, I get to *see* this stuff every day - I've been contracting for
Tenix on & off since 1998. But they're ultra strict about taking photos. I
really wanted to get some shots of the neat "flat-top" trucks they use for
moving the modules, but alas they were hidden from the public, in a restricted
area.

   I've seen trucks that match that description--I wouldn't be surprised
   if Tenix use the same sort that Bath does.  Our ships of DD size and
   smaller (at least) are all prefab, so we do use them.

  Now they're going to be using a floating dock and lowering the ships in.
  Blah.

Yeah, there's something exciting about seeing it slide back down into the water
- although it's actually surprisingly quiet!

   That's because they actually (as you may already know) time the launch
   to be in tune with the tides--even a tiny bit of shear can lodge the
   vessel or cause it to miss its channel--or worse, damage it and its
   slip severely.  In Maine (Bath Iron Works) they're on a river, so
   they had to compute the exact moment of null tide--which, when the
   river's volume can fluctuate, is no easy task!  For them, the floating
   slip is well worth the trouble.

   Oh, to be a naval architect...

   best

   LFB