 Off-Topic / Fun / 9424
9423  |  9425
Subject:
Launch of HMAS Ballarat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 26 May 2002 02:35:27 GMT

Well, yesterday I went to the launch of HMAS Ballarat, the 8th ANZAC frigate
launched at the Tenix shipyards. This leaves just 2 more to be launched from
the contract for 10, worth around AU$6 billion.

The ballarat will now be fitted out & trialed before being delivered to the
RAN - 5 frigates have already been delivered, 3 to the RAN, 2 to RNZN.

Here's some of the pictures I took
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=17749 including some before
the launch, some after, a couple of the historic RAAF flypast, and a shot of
Ballarat alongside HMAS Stuart (ship 6), due to be delivered on May 30.

I also took the opportunity to snap some crane shots, as it's the only time
you're allowed to take a camera into the place 8?) and of the modules that
will fairly soon become the hull & superstructure of ship #9.

You can read more about it at www.tenix.com - select ANZAC ship project.

Regards

ROSCO