 Off-Topic / Fun / 8998
Re: Here's a few for Maggie:
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 16:32:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Schuler writes:
Browsing CNN.com I came upon an article about the BAFTA awards
http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/24/baftas/index.html
and noticed this apparent flub of the Queen's English:

BAFTA chairman Simon Relph said [Warren] Beatty was one of the most versatile
and gifted filmmakers.

"His contribution to the film industry cannot be underestimated and we are
delighted to honour his work with this award," he told the UK's Press
Association.

Now, I'm just a good ol' American, so far be it from me to question the
wisdom of a native English speaker, but it seems to me that if one cannot
"underestimate" something, then that means that one cannot give an estimate
that is less than the actual value of something; ie, that the thing's value
is so low that no lower estimate is possible!  What a slur on poor Beatty!
I demand an apology on his behalf!

It may be a slur but it's not libel. His skill as a director is only
slightly higher than his skill as an actor which is only slightly higher
than his skill as a deep political thinker. Since his skill at that is
nil... well, you do the math.

Perhaps this speaker (Relph) really *meant* what he said rather than
flubbing, and was counting on Beatty not to catch it.