 Off-Topic / Fun / 8664
Re: Lord of the Rings movie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 20:01:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Richard Marchetti writes:
And sorry Erik, but Star Wars doesn't even come close to
resonating with the same ancient symbols that does LOTR, Star Wars is far
too contrived for that (and in the new films just plain old too crappy).  If
for no other reason than the density of its culturally relevant symbolism,
LOTR may succeeed very well with the masses. Tolkien was not borrowing from
ancient mythology, he was wisely plagiarizing it outright!  Smart.

All I meant was that the director, Peter Jackson, seemed to be paying a
little tribute with his visuals to 'Star Wars' -- and from the audience
noises on opening morning, I suspect there are visual in-jokes for former
Peter Jackson fans in there too. This is strictly movie geek talk, I'm not
addressing the meaning or how well it works. Anyone caught thinking of Darth
Vader at any time?

I guess a lot of us just know Gandalf better. If you watch the movie a
second time, try to pay attention to how he is characterized, maybe it will
make him more personal. He is clearly NOT the head of his order, he makes
too many little goofs, but that keeps him humble, and pure of heart.

The movie is too hasty in a lot of places. Very difficult translation. Your
reaction as a novice who hasn't been raised on the books is interesting
because gosh, it's about the *movie*.

(yes, I've been steeped in the books since 1977. and I mean, all the books
of every sort.)

Now, tell me more about these magical swords...?

Uh, Elendil's sword Narsil, shattered by Sauron and used by the son Isildur
to cut Sauron's ring off, was the broken sword you saw in Rivendell, but in
the book Aragorn carried it around (it is his heirloom after all.)

The movie is devoid of dreams, prophecies and such, but in the book Boromir
has had dreams telling him to 'Seek for the sword that was broken' among
other verses, and Aragorn uses it as proof that Boromir has fulfilled the
prophecy. Elrond's folk reforge the sword and Aragorn gives it the name
Anduril before setting out with the Fellowship. I don't know if the movie
had to cut this out or if it will bring it up later.

The Council of Elrond in the books is really the centre of the story. I
don't get that feeling from the movie. It's a pity that it had to be
diminished so much.  In the book, it is where all the characters tell their
history and the history of the Ring, which you get instead visually at other
times in the movie. It is really amazing how *flexible* the book turns out
to be--whole conversations have been relocated (sometimes to other
characters!) and they still work.