 Off-Topic / Fun / 8659
Re: Lord of the Rings movie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 08:36:28 GMT

After seeing it the second time, I'm starting to glow. I better give it a
third chance.

The second time through, I notice some evidence of shortened scenes.

SPOILER -- NOT A BAD SPOILER -- WATCH FOR THIS

In particular, Galadriel's gifts (or rather gift) and farewell. The
fellowship has Elf-cloaks with leaf-broaches after this scene, and Frodo's
gift is fast-cut and overdubbed, which makes me think they had to cut a lot.
Since Gimli doesn't encounter Galadriel, though they set him up nicely on
entering Lorien, I wonder if his fierce love for her won't exist in Two Towers.

Another detail I wonder about is: where does Anduril come in? Is Aragorn
wielding Anduril despite no mention of its forging? That thing he has sure
can cut. I didn't get a good look at Aragorn's sword in any early scenes so
maybe it is just the same sword. Maybe Elrond will send Anduril to him later
with his battle standard.

These are two things that seem to be half-there, not completely written out,
just cut out.  Maybe there will be more on the home video!

It's Pippin that gets to hold Gandalf's hat. Heh.

I thought of 'Star Wars' a few times during the film. Like when the company
is running out of Moria, it's like they're running for the Falcon. I
expected Frodo to whip out a blaster to pick off the remaining Orcs.
At the Prancing Pony, as the camera panned over the assorted villains and
scoundrels (Strider), I was expecting the Cantina Band. If anyone had said
"I have a bad feeling about this" it would not have been too surprising!

Man, I have to go for a third viewing.