 Off-Topic / Fun / 8650
Re: If you're an AFOL and you know it raise your hand (WAS: Blacksmith Shop)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 00:25:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Maggie Cambron writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

But is not "adult who enjoys building with LEGO" as much a label as "adult
fan of LEGO"? 8?)

Is someone who believes in God necessarily a Christian?

Regards,
Allan B.
Definitely NOT an AFOL

It's all right Allan, we understand.  It took me almost a year of lurking
before I could bring myself to post here,

I've was posting to rec.toys.lego about 3 1/2 years ago.  I have been
posting to LUGNET for quite some time now (over 3 years)  I'm not shy.  I'm
not a lurker.  Thanks for the sentiments though.

and being a closet AFOL was my dirty
little family secret for almost another year

Well, I feel bad for you that you felt you had to hide your interest in
LEGO.  I certainly don't hide mine.  For Christmas on my 30th birthday, my
dad gave me a 1200 piece tub from the 30th anniversary sets that were
available here in Canada.  Later, the following year, before they
disappeared, he bought me another 4 of the purple anniversary buckets at
Wal-Mart.

I have no shame, nothing to hide.  On my monitor at work rests a built copy
of Vader's Tie Fighter.

(although my Kindergartener almost
spilled the beans when the room mother overheard him tell another child that
his mom had way more LEGO than he did).  But I can't tell you how liberating
it is once you are ready to admit your true nature.

Again, I really have nothing to hide, no problems understanding my true
nature.  I'm a big kid.  I sit on the floor and build with LEGO bricks.
That I happen to be an 'adult' is really beside the point.  It's not through
my adult eyes that I view my interest in LEGO.  This is why I have no
interest in being labeled an AFOL.  No offense.  As mentioned... anyone who
does wish to call themselves by that name has my full support.  It's a term
that works for some, but not for me.

What *was* liberating was retiring my LUGNET membership.  That felt good.
Then I took a break from posting and really didn't return until I was
certain of my position regarding LEGO and the company that spawned it.

Until then, know that you are not alone....

I suspect I'm not.  I do, however, get the feeling that some folks who post
to LUGNET are reluctant to say such a thing for fear of drawing negative
comments towards themselves.  I do not suffer from this worry.  :)

Best regards,
Allan B.