 Off-Topic / Fun / 8446
Re: Why aren't we going crazy?!?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 18:41:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Richard Marchetti writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun (like a REALLY long time ago), Bruce Schlickbernd
writes:
So what illustrators do you like?  You may not be your collection, but it
does say something about you.  :-)

Blink.  That was a delayed reaction response!  :-)

You picked lots of illustrators that I have little if any examples of in my
collection (I need some Willy Pogany without a doubt).

I like:

Austin Spare (have most everything -- beware my chaos magick!)

I can't recall seeing anything by Spare - I'll have to check him out).

Harry Clarke (have most everything)
Any Kelmscott book, certainly the Chaucer edition
John Austen (Hamlet era and even soem later more Deco style stuff)

Kind of an Aubrey Beardsley type - the best I've seen of him are the works
that rely heavily on black rather than line.

Duchess of Malfi illos. Henry Keen

Another blank.

Anything by Willy Pogany (esp. his Parsifal, Ancient Mariner, and Tannhauser)

Great stuff.

Howard Pyle

Pyle and N.C. Wyeth (his progeny not being "illustrators").  I have great
admiration for these two.  I suppose I should mention Frank Frazetta, who is
heavily influenced by them (love those powerful hands).

The whole Robinson family (Charles, William Heath, Thom. Heath, etc.)

More good stuff.

The Wyeths
Edmund Dulac

Arthur Rackham - I kinda lump those two together.

William Russell Flint (esp. Arthur stuff)

A bit stagey - great execution.

Norman Lindsay (need more)

Blank - I love having more names to be on the lookout for.

Mel Odom

You either like his stylizations or not.  Leaves me cold.

Arabian Knights illos. Antonio Lopez
Sulamith Wulfing (most anything)

I like the black and whites, but not the color work.

Berni Wrightson's Frankenstein

Coulda got an orginal from this, but I didn't have $1200 lying around.  Had
to settle for the two portfolios.  It was interesting to see his brush and
ink execution inspired by the scratchboard work of Franklin Booth (a big
favorite of mine).  Booth was in turn inspired by the steel engravings of
Dore (and assorted engravers).  Since I'm on this style, let me also mention
the scratchboard work of Virgil Finlay, and the woodcuts of Barry Moser (a
great set of Alice books, but I passed on the Frankenstein in favor of
Wrightson).  Anyway, an interesting series of techniques that cross-polinate.

Metropolis illos. by William Kaluta

I like Kaluta, but his pictures just don't read well - the various elements
don't seperate well due to his coloration.

Opera and Misc. books by Craig Russell
Hans Bellmer erotic illos. for Story of the Eye

More to add:
A pair of Russians: Ivan Bilibin and Boris Zvorykin.  Both do traditional
Russian folk tales.
James Gurney
Patrick Woodroffe - The Pentateuch of the Cosmogeny (with Greenslade
record).  An astonishing variety of techniques.
Steve Fabian
Heinrich Kley (most Americans would be familiar with the Hippos, Elephants,
and alligators that he inspired for Fantasia)
Mark Ferrari
Alan Lee - The Mabinogion (I'm not sure I like his earth-tone limited
palette traditional watercolors for Tolkien)
Leo and Diane Dillon
Don Maitz - Arrrrrr, at last we be having a pyratical illustrator ag'in.
Michael Whelan
Brian Froud
Roger Dean (I suppose he is more the graphic designer)
Jeff Jones
Greg and Tim Hildebrandt
Alicia Austin
Frank Kelly Freas
Stephen Hickman
Yvonne Gilbert
Chris Van Allsburg

Now, I guess I can go back to my convulsions while my wife flies to Wasington...

Bruce