 Off-Topic / Fun / 8373
Re: Lugnet can always grow; it's up to us to make it happen.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 04:26:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Maggie Cambron writes:

Maggie C. (Queen of living on less-- I got the OED-- the two volume
slip-cased edition with the magnifier in a little drawer-- for 2 bucks from
a garage sale!)

  Now I've just gotta ask HOW that came to be?  I can see the
  (unlikely) discussion now:

  Seller: "Oh, yes, those OED volumes are for sale."
  Maggie: "How much do you want for them?"
  Seller: "Two dollars."
  Maggie: "Really?  That's a good preposition.  Are they genuine?"
  Seller: "Oh, yes, they're the definite article."
  Maggie: "Why are you getting rid of them?"
  Seller: "We've decided not to speak English anymore."
  Maggie: "Waarom wil je dat?"  (Not really)
  Seller: "Bad memories.  My uncle was slapped with a nominative
           case.  He hasn't been able to conjugate since."

  (groan)

  apologetically,

  LFB

No need to be apologetic-- that (along with an email in which the writer idly
speculates about whether he could get away with burying the women he knows
under the porch) is the most amusing stuff I've read all day!  Alas, my
real-life conversations never involve such engaging repartee (hmm, and I never
say "alas" in my real-life conversations either!)-- I was just out looking for
bargain LEGO as I always do on Saturday mornings.  This house didn't have ANY
toys, but it's the only house I know of in Vacaville with a Bentley in the
driveway, so I was curious to see what they had.  I found the OED in the
slipcase, and for the 2 dollars they also threw in some Cliffs notes (I picked
Othello, Ivanhoe, and Idylls of the King).

What's really serendipitous is that a couple of weekends later at a garage sale
in a very modest neighborhood I happened to pick up a copy of "The Professor
and the Madman," which I had vaguely recalled someone suggesting I read.  Once
I read that I REALLY appreciated my find!

Maggie